New Economy for the Mediterranean Region
Thursday, 22nd November
Casa Llotja de Mar | Barcelona
An important but often overlooked driver is the enabling roles that technology, Innovation, entrepreneurship and the private sector can play in boosting inclusive prosperity across the Mediterranean region. The convergence of these three areas raises some key issues to consider and an alternative narrative that is shaping the Mediterranean.
Governments, business leaders can play an important role in initially funding new ventures and the investment vehicles that launch them, rather than using the current model of massive public employment programs. The problem with some Mediterranean governments is that they focus on job creation, not company creation. The by-product of successful and growing companies is jobs.
The Mediterranean region will have to create hundreds of millions of new jobs over the next three decades. This challenge presents an opportunity for the region to transform its economies and harness both, the creativity of its large youth population and the disruptive power of technology.
We live in a time of discoveries where science, technologies and innovations are key to progress and development. In order for our region to achieve progress and prosperity, we need to ensure better standards of education and provide access to technical expertise in order to encourage innovation.
Ascame in partnership with more associations of the sectors will bring together policymakers, entrepreneurs and academics from the region and beyond for a series of far reaching discussions on what it will take for Meda Innovation and Digital Summit to seize this opportunity.
The Meda Innovation and Digital Summit will serve as a platform for international and regional companies, start-ups, innovators, entrepreneurs, and investors to display their innovations and inventions, discuss various topics and establish business relationships that ultimately will enrich the economy. In addition, it aims at becoming the Mediterranean’s largest gathering of innovations and innovators.
The event, which will be held within the framework of the MedaWeek Barcelona, will attract hundreds
of participants each year and will be composed of four forums:
1. Mediterranean Start-up & Entrepreneurship Forum
2. Mediterranean Digital & Technology Forum
3. Mediterranean Innovation Forum
4. Finance & Development Innovation Meeting
Join us at the Meda Innovation & Digital Summit get to know the new trends, find inspiration, and most importantly: do great business!
In collaboration with:
Thursday, 22nd November
10:45 – 12:45 Mediterranean Innovation Forum
- Serve as a platform for international and regional companies, start-ups, innovators, entrepreneurs and investors to
showcase their innovations & inventions, discuss various topics and establish business relationships that will ultimately
enrich the economy.
- Provide an outlook at the latest trends and connect key stakeholders from across the continent through keynotes,
breakout sessions and networking events.
- Be a central meeting place for leading innovators, breakthrough ideas and technologies that will transform society and
Welcome words: Ayhan Kızıltan | President, Mersin Chamber of Commerce and Industry / President, Innovation
and ICT Working Commission of ASCAME
Moderator: Mª Carmen Margelí | Head of International Development, Technology Centre of Catalonia (EURECAT)
Ramy Boujawdeh | Deputy General Manager, Berytech
Abdul Malik Al Jaber | Founder and Chairman, Arabreneur
Murat Erten | General Manager, Izmir Techno Park
Fadi Mikati | Co-Founder and President, Tripoli Entrepreneurs Club
Joan Parra | Technological Partner, DFactory / Executive Vice-President, Leitat
Emmanuel Noutary | General Delegate, ANIMA Investment Network
Jose Manuel Duran | North Africa and Middle East Delegate, CDTI
Rachid El Mrabet | Innovation Manager, Research Institute for Solar Energy and New Energies (IRESEN)
Faissal Khdiri | General Manager, Business Development EMEA, M2M Group
12:45 – 14:30 Mediterranean Digital & Technology Forum
Digital Transformation in the Mediterranean – Opportunities and Challenges
- Digital Transformation in the Mediterranean: Where to start? Barriers and challenges?
- Industry 4.0 – How can Mediterranean companies with a global perspective be developed?
- Building Partnerships and Ecosystems
- Embracing New Technologies to Maximize Agility
- Developing a Comprehensive Digital Transformation Mediterranean Strategy
- How does the region’s digitalization agenda boost productivity and efficiency?
- The opportunities and challenges in digitalizing the region’s industries
Moderator: Joan Guasch | Senior Area Manager – Public Programmes Area, Technology Centre of Catalonia (EURECAT)
Mª Helena de Felipe | President, Federation of Mediterranean Women Entrepreneurs (AFAEMME)
Ghinwa Jalloul | President & CEO, Technology SAR
Hakam Kanafani | Chairman, Arab Advisors Group
Elif Coskunkan | Managing Partner, Etohum & ‘Startup Turkey’
Luis Badrinas | CEO, Barcelona Health Hub
Sisco Sapena | President & CEO, lleida.net
Conchi Garcia | Co-founder & CEO, Club Ecommerce
Youssef El Alaoui | Vice-President General, Apebi Morocco
Thursday, 22nd November
15:30 – 17:30 Mediterranean Start-up & Entrepreneurship Forum
How to establish the Mediterranean region as an international start-up hub?
- Working for yourself, should it be an option?
- SME policies are crucial to tackling unemployment
- How can we create ecosystems for new form of entrepreneurship for start-ups in the Mediterranean region?
- What are the barriers and pathways for new companies in the region?
- How can entrepreneurs, investors, and support institutions from key emerging start-ups ecosystems across Europe and
the Mediterranean region work together?
- How to establish the Mediterranean region as an international start-up hub?
Moderador: Diana Kobayter | Founder, Zouyouti, Oils & Beyond / Young Entrepreneurs Working Commission of ASCAME
Roula Moussa | Managing Partner, Netways / DiasporaID
Aintzane Arbide | Technological Partner, DFactory Incubator / Business Development Manager, Leitat
Stefano Bonfa | Owner & Manager, OxSDE
Almudena Solera | Global Head of Strategic Partnerships & Business Development, Spain Start-up – South Summit
Vincent Ernoux | Coordinator – Branch Office for the Western Mediterranean, ENI CBC MED
Núria Balada | President, Catalan Women’s Institute
Burcu Tunçer | Team Leader – Networking and Partnerships, UN Environment MAP Regional Activity Centre for Sustainable
Consumption and Production (SCP/RAC)
Josep F. Valls | Professor of Marketing Management, ESADE
Andre Abi Awad | Founder, Entreprenergy
17:30 – 19:30 Finance & Funds for Mediterranean Entrepreneurship Meeting
Finance & Funds for Mediterranean Entrepreneurship
- Whether launching a new product, acquiring key customers or reaching a revenue goal, entrepreneurs need access to
- Discover the main avenues to raise capital (such as crowdfunding, angel investors, venture capital, and more) and
identify key stakeholders.
- Show the best alternatives to market projects and acquire funding.
- How fin-tech are impacting the financial ecosystem of the region.
Moderador: Ricard Garriga | CEO Trioteca / Co-founder & GP, Torret Road Capital
Boutheina Ben Yaghlane | Director General, Caisse des Dépôts et Consignations Tunisia
Hicham Iraqi Houssaini | Director General, Microsoft Morocco
Daniel Romy | CEO, Media Digital Ventures
Mohamed Azzam | Secretary General – Digital Division, Federation of Egyptian Chambers of Commerce (FEDCOC)
Zakaria Fahim | CEO, Hub Africa
Tamer Taha | Founder & CEO, Yomken
Adil Rzal | President, Association Marocaine des Investisseurs en Capital (AMIC)
Mathieu Carenzo | Director, IESE Entrepreneurship Center
Fadi Saab | Chairman, Trans Capital Finance / President, Integrity Values and Business Ethics Working Commission of ASCAME