Focus on Strategies for Mediterranean & Africa
Thursday, 23 November 2017
Daurat Room, Casa Llotja de Mar | Barcelona
Islamic financial services industry has witnessed dynamic growth in the last decades. In the last 10 years the industry has been doubling in size almost every 5 years. And the General Council for Islamic Banks and Financial Institutions (CIBAFI) expects that the Islamic financial service industry would reach the size of 4 trillion by the end of 2020. This growth trend will continue with a boost of interest from non-traditional Islamic finance markets, being at forefront of introducing and developing Islamic financial services in their markets. Recent developments at the International Monetary Fund (IMF) board level, Ensuring Financial stability in countries with Islamic Banking being systematically important, is yet another development milestone for the industry.
With the growing interests and high-growth prospects for Islamic finance across both traditional and non-traditional markets in Europe, Africa, and Asia, the Mediterranean & African region in particular may take the opportunity to gain the momentum of this global trend. Islamic finance with its primary objective being the promotion of economic prosperity and human welfare may play a vital role for further economic development and fostering prosperity in the Mediterranean and African region.
11:00 – 11:15 Welcoming remarks by CIBAFI
Abdelilah Belatik | Secretary General, General Council for Islamic Banks and Financial Institutions (CIBAFI)
11:15 – 12:45 Islamic Finance in the EMEA region: overview, analysis, and emerging trends in the sector
- Overview of opportunities and challenges of Islamic finance in the Mediterranean, Gulf & Africa.
- Regulatory framework catalyst in sustainable development of Islamic finance in the Mediterranean & Africa.
- Islamic Banking in the region: Strengthening competitiveness and leading practices.
Chair: Necdet Şensoy | Board Member, Central Bank of Turkey
Abdel Baghy Ahmed Bouha | CEO, Nouvelle Banque De Mauritanie
José Ramón Martínez Resano | Senior Economist, Banco de España
Nasser Hideur | General Manager, Al Salam Bank Algeria
Emilio Escartin | Managing Director, Al-Andaluz Islamic Private Equity Fund
12:45 – 14:15 Exploring the future of Islamic Banking through Innovation and strategic regional & international positioning
- Exploring potential of Sukuk in the Mediterranean: Market requirements and the key areas of Sukuk investments.
- Branding of Islamic finance: brand strategies to tackle challenges in marketing Islamic financial services.
- Financial technology and innovation: Islamic fintech, crowdfunding and Islamic start-ups, opportunities and challenges.
- Strategies to empowering women role in Islamic finance development.
Chair: Aziza Yarlaeva | Head of Strategic Planning, General Council for Islamic Banks and Financial Institutions (CIBAFI)
Gonzalo Rodriguez | General Coordinator, Saudi-Spanish Centre for Islamic Economics and Finance, IE Business School
Mohamed Nouri | Managing Partner, EL CAFI
Najia Lotfi | Director, Center for Studies and Research in Islamic Economics and Finance (CEIEFI)
Tomás Guerrero | Head of Madrid Office, Halal Institute
14:15 – 14:30 Conclusions, Closing Remarks & Business Networking
14:30 – 15:30 Lunch Break